500g high quality tuna
A 4-inch piece of mooli (you can use regular radishes)
A 2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger
Greenery to garnish – either, cucumber, parsley or green onion
3 tsp sake
1 1/2 tbsp mirin
120 ml quality soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1/2 tsp dashi (dried fish seasoning)
METHOD - for the dipping sauce
1. Combine the mirin and sake in a pan and bring to a boil.
2. Remove from the heat and add soy sauce, tamari and dashi. Mix well and leave to cool to room temperature.
For the vegetables
1. Thinly slice your daikon or radishes with a knife or mandolin. Stack these cut into match sticks.
2. Place them in a bowl of ice water to separate the sticks. Sift out the pieces and pat dry then arrange on each plate.
3. Finely grate the ginger and arrange a little pile on each plate.
For the tuna
1. Prepare your tuna by cutting into a neat block or square. Finely slice the tuna with a sharp knife.
2. Arrange the slices on the plates over the daikon or radishes. Garnish with parsley, green onion or cucumber. (it’s just for colour)
1. Mix the grated ginger into the soy sauce and dip in tuna slices. Drag the tuna. Eat the daikon or radish between eating the tuna.
2. Enjoy alongside a Cobra beer!